Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Model 19 Parts

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member voice of the theater's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 25th, 2009
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    1,412
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Model 19 Parts

    Saw this listing on ebay today---416-8b brand new with original box, literature, packaging etc. He's also got Altec Model 19 horns and drivers (and another woofer) brand new in original boxes--I wonder if he owns a time machine?

    altec voice of the theater woofer 416 8B - eBay (item 290388726698 end time Jan-13-10 10:59:22 PST)

    Here's one of the horns altec lansing 811B 811 horn new in box - eBay (item 290388904172 end time Jan-13-10 22:24:54 PST)

    Pretty cool to have original boxes and literature etc.

    He hasn't listed most of the other parts yet but says he will---someone might be able to make him an offer on a "package deal". Looks like he has other Altec stuff as well (and JBL) and a 100% positive feedback rating so hopefully he's legit. BTW, no affilliation with seller yada yada....

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: Model 19 Parts

    Pretty cool to have original boxes and literature etc.
    Agreed.

    But, since i'm not inclined to gamble, i wouldn't touch them until offered as pairs. There's always the possibility of contacting him and negotiating a deal for pairs, but he doesn't really say much to invite it. Moreover, it appears he's looking to squeeze the last drop of profit out of them, which would incidentally come from selling as pairs in most cases.

    After reading the seller's terms, there's too much potential for "game playing" in trying to secure the mate for displaced NOS pairs sold singly and at different times. Ebay is not what it used to be.
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Model 19 Parts

    Quote Originally Posted by bowtie427ss View Post
    Agreed.

    But, since i'm not inclined to gamble, i wouldn't touch them until offered as pairs. There's always the possibility of contacting him and negotiating a deal for pairs, but he doesn't really say much to invite it. Moreover, it appears he's looking to squeeze the last drop of profit out of them, which would incidentally come from selling as pairs in most cases.

    After reading the seller's terms, there's too much potential for "game playing" in trying to secure the mate for displaced NOS pairs sold singly and at different times. Ebay is not what it used to be.
    I think sellers like this think they would be offering a buy one get one free deal, if they were to offer in pairs, so they list individually. They're really shooting themselves in the foot from my perspective. Unless, it's something that's hard to find, or a really good deal I pass on singles. Furthermore, if a bidder is looking for a single, stating that you've got another to be listed later is only going to drive down the price........ why get in a bidding war for this one, if the seller has another?

    I've got a pair of Jensens that I need to list. Since they're suited for guitar use, I will list them as singles at the same time. I'd never list a pair of stereo/HiFi speakers that way, Though.
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member voice of the theater's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 25th, 2009
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    1,412
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Model 19 Parts

    I would have to agree with you guys--seeing (the second driver) is believing. I'm not in the market for spare horns/drivers/woofers for my 19's, but if I wanted a PAIR I wouldn't bid until I saw a PAIR listed. It would suck to buy one counting on the other one to be listed later, and either have it never materialize from the guy or find it listed later at a higher price.... Just because he has 100% positive feedback and 254 ratings doesn't mean he's not going to play games. $100 for a brand new 811B horn (in the box w/literature) with no reserve and $300 for a brand new 416-8B woofer (in the box with original literature--also no reserve) does seem reasonable if you're looking for singles--if bidding doesn't drive the price way up. If he really does have a brand new pair of the horns, high frequency drivers, and woofers all with original boxes and literature it would be a cool find in this day and age-- thought people here would find it interesting..... I wonder if he would use his time machine to get me a Beatles Lunch Box that I could keep my Fluffernutter sandwiches, Tab, and Adams Sour Orange Gum in.....

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member gearfreak's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 20th, 2008
    Location
    SEPA
    Posts
    633
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Model 19 Parts

    If anyone is interested in following up...
    Auction ended without a bid, but the CL posting has the phone # still:
    altec voice of theater speakers

    I'd inquired the day it was posted, but no reply yet from Pete.

    Would do, but other fish to fry atm.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.